Thursday, April 28, 2011

Onsen, The Japanese Bath

This blog post will be little different, because in this time I will try to present and explain the feeling of onsen from a foreigners viewpoint.  I found that interviewing Japanese wouldn’t necessarily be that fertile.  I think they inherit their bathing habits in their genes, it would be hard them to explain or describe the bath process to outsider.

I have heard some wonderful stories about onsens, I felt like I really had to experience it by my self too. Bathing culture in Japan was totally unfamiliar to me, so it was a big leap to the great unknown. There is something really fascinating in onsen, maybe it’s all the good health affects and the feeling of total relaxation. One late Thursday evening me and two friends of mine went to solve the mystery of Japanese onsen.
 
Inside the onsen place we first left our shoes to shoe lockers.There was couple of machines where you could buy your entrance ticket and all possible accessory involving in bathing. Men and women hade their own sides in the onsen. This was a public bath, of course you couldn’t take any pictures inside. But now it leaves to your imaginary a space to think how it would be like there in the middle of many different onsens.  


We left your clothes to changing rooms lockers. When we entered to bathing area, a very warm and humid air welcomed us. First we needed to take a shower. There were many shower places next to each other with small chairs and buckets. I found interesting that showers were placed really low and in every shower place there were big mirror too.   

First we tried basic onsen, with massaging bubbles. The water was very warm, about 42 Celsius grades. Next we went to outdoor area, where there were three different onsen. To me the most fascinating was the milk onsen. You really could feel the tender touch of white water and good affect to your skin. At the same time you could watch some TV too. Vinegar onsen had some bitter smell, and water was brownish. This one too was really worth testing, again very relaxing.   

To me as a Finnish person, sauna is definately one of the most important things that I miss, when here in Japan. In bath entering to hot sauna made me feel cozy and actually little like home.  In sauna there were nice soft mats to sit on and of course there were also flat screen, you could keep up with your favorite soap opera.

The best piece of advice I can give is; do the same as Japanese do and follow their example.  All the signs in onsen were written in Japanese only, so without any language skills, just imitate others doings. Case mystery of famous Japanese onsen culture has now been solved (at least some part of it). I got purified, both my soul and my body are now clean and I’m ready for new adventures.




Some more information about onsen:

1 comment:

  1. Onsen is a great topic for your free choice blog post. I love onsen and sento. I am not so sure if there is any great mystery about the bathing culture of Japan. Have you asked any Japanese people why they like onsen and how to bathe properly?

    There is a famous discrimination case about onsen not allowing foreigners - check out this web page for more info. The book described in the web page has an introductory chapter on the bathing culture of Japan.

    http://www.debito.org/japaneseonly.html#english

    ReplyDelete